This is a very simple and delicious broccoli salad to have as a lunch or a side dish at a main meal. It is fibre-rich, but still light and refreshing. Raw broccoli contains almost 90% water, 7% carbs, 3% protein, and almost no fat. Broccoli is very low in calories, providing only 31 calories per cup (91 grams). Broccoli is low in digestible carbs but provides a healthy amount of fibre, which promotes gut health and may reduce your risk of various diseases.
Broccoli is also high in many vitamins and minerals, including folate, potassium, manganese, iron, and vitamins C and K1.
One of the most abundant and extensively studied plant compounds in broccoli is Sulforaphane, which has been shown to offer potential protection against various types of cancer.
Broccoli also contains carotenoids such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta carotene, which may all contribute to better eye health.
Kaempferol, an antioxidant in broccoli has many benefits for health, this compound may protect against heart disease, cancer, inflammation, and allergies.
Studies suggest that Isothiocyanates found in broccoli can affect liver enzymes, reduce oxidative stress, decrease inflammation, stimulate your immune system, and combat the development and growth of cancer.
Give this recipe a try. We hope you enjoy it!
- 8 cups Broccoli chopped into florets
- ¼ cup Red Onion finely sliced
- ¼ cup Tahini
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsps Water
- ⅓ cup Sunflower Seeds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and drop in your broccoli florets. Cover with a lid and boil for 2 - 3 minutes, or just until slightly tender. Strain and run under cold water.
- Roughly chop the florets into pieces and add them to a large mixing bowl. Add in the red onion.
- In a small jar, add the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and water. Shake vigorously until well combined. Pour over the salad and toss well.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds over top of the salad and serve. Enjoy!