This one pan dish is a simple yet exciting, anti-inflammatory meal.
After a busy day with work, family, and errands, you can feel confident preparing this low-stress dish filled with important nutrients.
Not to mention – minimal dishes to clean up!
The cauliflower in this dish is an excellent source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C has been shown to act as an anti-inflammatory, reducing inflammatory markers in the blood (1).
Carrots contain carotene, which is a pigment molecule giving this vegetable is marked orange colour. Carotene has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and is protective against liver disease(2).
While these vegetables contain their own anti-inflammatory properties, adding turmeric is the secret powerhouse ingredient in this recipe! Turmeric is a strong spice with a bright golden colour. Its main component is curcumin which is a powerful anti-inflammatory compound. Curcumin has demonstrated the ability to reduce inflammation in a number of diseases including cancer, arthritis, and diabetes3. Daily intake of as little as 1 gram of curcumin has been shown to reduce blood markers of inflammation in individuals with metabolic syndrome (4). To learn more about the benefits of turmeric and its anti-inflammatory properties, read Koru’s recent article here!
Extra virgin olive oil is another hidden gem in this recipe. Extra virgin olive oil is considered by many to be one the healthiest fats to consume. Many researchers have studied the effects of extra virgin olive oil through examining the Mediterranean diet, where extra virgin olive oil is a staple ingredient. These studies have demonstrated that individuals who consume a minimum of 50ml daily have lower levels of inflammatory markers in their blood (5).
If you’re feeling extra creative, try topping off the vegetables and chicken with a sprinkle of freshly squeezed lemon juice!
- Chambial, S., Dwivdei, S., Shukla, K., John, O., & Sharma, P. (2013). Vitamin C in Disease Prevention and Cure: An Overview. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry. 28(4), 314-328. doi: 10.1007/s12291-013-0375-3
- Yilmas, B., Sahin, K., Bilen, H., Bahcecioglu, I., Biliir, B., Ashraf, S., … & Kucuk, O. (2015). Carotenoids and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatobiliary Surgery and Nutrition. 4(3), 161-171. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2304-3881.2015.01.11
- Menon, V., & Sudheer, A. (2007). Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 595. 105-125. doi: 10.1007/978-0-387-46401-5_3.
- Panahii, Y., Hosseini, M., Khalili, N., Naimi, E., Majeed, M., & Sahebkar, A. (2015). Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of curcuminoid-piperine combination in subjects with metabolic syndrome: A randomized controlled trial and an updated meta-analysis. Clinical Nutrition. 34(6), 1101-1108. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2014.12.019
- Casas, R., Sacanella, E., Urpi-Sarda, M., Chiva-Blanch, G., Ros, E., Martinez-Gonzalez, M., …& Estruch, R. (2014). The effect of the Mediterranean diet on biomarkers of vascular wall inflammation and plaque vulnerability in subjects with high risk for cardiovascular disease. A randomized trial. PLoS One, 9(6). doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0100084
One Pan Chicken, Golden Cauliflower & Carrot Fries
- 6 Carrots medium
- 1½ heads Cauliflower
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided three ways
- 1½ lbs Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.
- Wash, peel, and chop carrots into sticks. Wash, stem, and chop cauliflower into 1” florets.
- Coat chicken breast with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil. Season with thyme and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside on the baking sheet.
- Toss carrot sticks in ¼ cup of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside on the baking sheet beside the chicken breasts.
- Toss cauliflower with the remaining olive oil, turmeric and salt and pepper to taste. Thoroughly combine until cauliflower is evenly covered in spices, then transfer cauliflower to the baking sheet with the carrots and chicken breast.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until chicken breast is cooked through.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and divide onto plates. Enjoy!