We’ve all fallen prey to boxed dinners in our lives as a result of the convenience. But, what if we could keep the convenience and boost the nutrition and help us to feel satisfied, and energized?
This recipe is ideal for convenience and low stress because it is a one-pan dish for easy prep and easy clean-up. You can feel good about this comfort food choice instead of dreading lots of work in the kitchen or a giant mess afterwards. This ease means you’ll enjoy the meal even more! Try it yourself tonight!
Beans are a powerhouse food when it comes to satiety. Beans are loaded with soluble fibre that helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Beans are also a good source the B-vitamin, folate. Folate is the natural form of Vitamin B9, while folic acid is the man-made form of B9 that we use to fortify foods. There is solid link between folate or folic acid and mood. One such paper states that “The incidence of folic acid deficiency is high in patients with various psychological disorders including depression, dementia and schizophrenia.”
Sweet potatoes are complex-carb rock stars here. They are high in beta-carotene, which is what gives them their beautiful orange colour. Beta-carotene is an antioxidant that helps to protect the cells of the body, including the brain, and our DNA from oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can be used as a biomarker for many psychological disorders, including depression and anxiety. So, sweet potatoes are not just feeding our bellies, but our brains too!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Bake
- 3 Sweet Potato small, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Black Beans cooked, from the can
- 1 cup Quinoa dry, uncooked
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 3 stalks Green Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin ground
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 Avacado diced
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large baking dish, add the sweet potatoes, black beans, quinoa, pepper, onion, chili powder, cumin, garlic and sea salt. Stir well to combine and then add the broth.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until the broth has absorbed completely, the quinoa is fluffy and the sweet potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven.
- Let the quinoa bake sit for 5 minutes before dividing between plates. Top each plate with lime juice and avocado. Enjoy!