Along with storing some vitamins and minerals, our liver is vital for removing toxins from our body.
Over time our body accumulates both natural and man-made toxins. As our cells are hard at work performing many functions, they produce natural toxins as a by-product.
At the same time, we are likely consuming man-made toxins (i.e. chemicals) from the air, food, and water we consume. A healthy liver will work to rid our bodies of these toxins, and consuming a healthy diet is important to support the liver in its natural detoxification process.
Cruciferous vegetables have been identified as an important ingredient to support your liver. This category of vegetables includes kale, as found in this recipe. When consumed, it can help increase the enzymes used by the liver to breakdown toxins, which is an important step before toxins can be discarded (1).
One of the specific types of toxins produced by cells and consumed as pollutants, are compounds called free radicals. Free radicals contribute to aging and can exacerbate a number of medical conditions. Our body uses antioxidants to detoxify free radicals. A number of vitamins serve as antioxidants including vitamin A, E, and C (2). Lemon is particularly high in vitamin C and is therefore a great food choice to neutralize free radicals.
Packed with kale and lemon, along with some of our other favourites including cucumber, pear, and ginger – this Detox Green Smoothie is the perfect fit to add to your detox meal plan! Plus, with a 10-minute prep time, this is an awesome recipe to accommodate your busy morning routine.
1. Manchali, A., Murthy, K.N.C., & Patil, B.S. (2012). Crucial facts about health benefits of popular cruciferous vegetables. Journal of Functional Foods, 4(1), 94-106. doi: 10.1016/j.jff.2011.08.004
2. Abdullah, M., Jamili, R.T., & Attia, F.N. (2020). Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid). [Updated 2020 Nov 30]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499877/
Detox Green Smoothie with Chlorella
- 1 Banana frozen
- ½ cup Pineapple
- ¼ Cucumber
- Handful Spinach and/or Kale
- 2 tbsp Hemp Hearts
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1-2 tsp Chlorella
- 1 cup Nut Milk of Choice substitute coconut water
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend and enjoy!