Do you ever have trouble convincing your kiddies to eat their vegetables? Do they turn their noses up at vegetables?
Then these muffins are your new best friend! They’ll help to get some greens into your kids’ diet.
Spinach was a superfood before superfoods were cool, providing too many health benefits to list. Most people have heard that spinach is good for the eyes, and muscles, but did you know it’s also good for your immune system? Spinach is an excellent source of Vitamin K which acts as a cofactor for some proteins used in immune response, including Natural Killer cells – the ones that help fight viruses.
Whole grain oats contain a soluble fibre called beta-glucan. This slowly digesting fibre also make you feel fuller, longer by delaying stomach emptying. Beta-glucan fibre only partially dissolves in the gut making a thick, gel like solution that is a friend to your good gut bacteria – and we all need as much immune support as we can find these days! For the adults in the house, oats can reduce LDL (bad cholesterol), reduce blood sugar, and may also improve insulin sensitivity.
Naturally sweetened with both dates and bananas, these muffins provide a solid dose of the essential mineral potassium. In one Canadian study potassium intakes were far below the “adequate Intake” level for all age groups. The European Respiratory Journal found that bananas could decrease wheezing and improve lung function in children with asthma, possibly due to their antioxidant and potassium content. What a simple way to support our respiratory system!
We understand busy families need something quick to prepare. If you’re feeling really keen add some eyes and a smile with a few stevia-sweetened chocolate chips before serving. You can now watch your kids eat their veggies while munching on this delicious Green Monster Muffin.
Green Monster Muffins
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 2½ cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Banana ripe
- ½ Avocado
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Protein Powder
- 4 Medjool Dates
- ¾ cup Organic Coconut Milk
- 2 Eggs large
- 2.5 cups Oats rolled
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line 12 regular muffin holes with parchment paper liners.
- In a blender container, add coconut oil, baby spinach, banana, avocado, protein powder, dates, and coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
- Add the eggs, oats, baking powder and baking soda to the blender container. Blend again until a batter is formed. Quickly blitz in lemon juice.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the lined muffin holes. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Remove muffins from muffin holes while still warm to prevent sticking. Let cool and enjoy!