When most of us think of chocolate, we generally conjure an image of something with lots of sugar to perk us up… but with this Hot Cocoa Elixir, we have a decadent chocolate drink that’s healthy enough to serve as a breakfast. It’s packed with all the pick-me-up benefits you want, with none of the sugar crash that you don’t want!
Cocoa is the unsung hero behind – or rather in – dark chocolate. Raw cocoa contains a massive antioxidant capacity, including phytonutrient flavonoids. The flavonoids in cocoa have been studied to show their ability to oxygenate the blood and brain. This flavonoids in cocoa have been found to possess many benefits, such as: memory improvement, mental processing speed, attention span, and verbal fluidity.
Hemp seeds, coconut oil, and almond butter contain a variety of healthy fats that help to nourish our nervous systems and may assist in stabilizing mood.
Chia seeds, cauliflower and almond butter also contain fibre, which supports blood sugar balance and optimal elimination habits – both of which may help reduce anxiety symptoms and/or triggers.
Give it a try today!
Hot Cocoa Elixir
- 1 cup Unsweetened Hazelnut Milk or almond milk
- ½ cup Frozen Cauliflower
- ½ Banana
- 2 tbsps Vanilla Protein Powder
- 2 tbsps Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 tbsp Hazelnut Butter or almond butter
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- ⅛ tsp Sea Salt optional, for topping
- 1 tsp Dark Chocolate optional, shaved, for topping
- TO PREPARE HAZELNUT MILK (if using)½ cup hazelnuts2 cups cold water1 Medjool date, pitteda. Place hazelnuts in a bowl or blender container. Cover with cold water and soak, covered in the refrigerator at least 8 hours or overnight.b. When soaking is complete, transfer to a blender if necessary and add date. Close blender lid and blend until hazelnuts are completely blended and smooth. c. Line a strainer with cheesecloth or use a nut milk bag. Place over a medium bowl and strain out milk from remaining hazelnut pulp. Take your time to get every drop of deliciousness.
- TO PREPARE ELIXIRIn a blender container, add all ingredients and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan over medium-low heat, and bring to a simmer. Pour into mugs, top with shaved dark chocolate and serve warm!