This is a beautiful rich and hearty meal that helps feed the soul and is absolutely delicious. But the great thing about this meal is that it can also help support and promote sleep if consumed in the evening.
The combination of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D in salmon has the potential to enhance sleep quality, as both have been shown to increase the production of serotonin (1,2,3).
In one study, men who ate 5-10.5 ounces (150-300 grams) of Atlantic salmon three times a week for 6 months fell asleep about 10 minutes faster than men who ate chicken, beef, or pork. This effect was thought to be the result of vitamin D. Those in the fish group had higher levels of vitamin D, which was linked to a significant improvement in sleep quality (4).
It is important avoid high protein meals at night as this can interfere with sleep. This meal is a well proportioned mix of carbohydrates (20g), proteins (21g) and fats (23g), making it a great balanced meal and low on the glycemic index to support healthy blood sugar balance and subsequently support great sleep.
You can store this in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze it.
- 2 tbsps Coconut Oil
- 1 bulb Fennel sliced
- 2 cups Celery Root peeled and cubed
- 2 cups Rutabaga peeled and cubed
- 2 cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 12 oz. Salmon Filet
- 1 cup Organic Coconut Milk
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt or more to taste
- ¼ cup Parsley chopped, optional garnish
- In a large soup pot, melt the coconut oil over medium-low heat. Add the sliced fennel, celery root, and rutabaga. Cover and let cook for about 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the chicken broth to small saucepan and place the salmon skin-side down into the broth. Bring to a simmer and poach the salmon for 5-10 minutes. Remove the salmon and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot with the softened veggies and bring to a simmer. Let cook for 10 minutes, then use an immersion blender to blend about half the soup so the texture is still chunky.
- Remove the skin from the salmon, and flake the fish into chunks. Add to the soup pot along with the coconut milk. Season to taste with sea salt.
- To serve, divide between bowls and garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!