This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free and adheres to the GAPS diet, paleo diet, low salicylates diet, and a low oxalate diet – which are many diets often recommended for children with autism. For families with an autistic child, the child’s symptoms, food cravings and blood work will determine which diet is the most appropriate.
Whether you and your family are affected by autism, are navigating a specialized diet, or are just looking for a healthy breakfast recipe that is gluten and dairy free – this quick and easy-to-prepare pancake recipe is simple to integrate into your diet, even if food choices are limited. And if you aren’t restricting any foods for health reasons, these pancakes are still delicious!
Pureed squash are low in calories but rich in nutrients such as Vitamin A, Vitamin B6 and over 50% of the Recommended Daily Intake of Vitamin C in just one cup. Squash also contains anti-stress minerals like calcium and magnesium. Plus, one cup of squash contains 7 grams of dietary fibre.
We wrote more about eggs on Facebook and Instagram, but some of the benefits include 40% of the Recommended Daily Intake of Vitamin D, choline and omega 3 to support brain function, and loads of protective antioxidants.
The last of the ingredients in this recipe is coconut oil, which is loaded with healthy fats that not only help you feel satisfied and fuller for longer, but also benefit brain health, weight management, immunity and more!
Give these tasty squash pancakes a try, and let us know what you think!
- 1 cup Pureed squash acorn or butternut if on a low oxalate diet
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- Heat pan over medium-low heat. Add oil to melt and coat the pan.
- While waiting for the pan to heat, mix pureed squash and eggs in a food processor or stand mixer (or by hand, in a large bowl, beating with a whisk).
- Pour dollar-pancake sized dollops of the batter into the heated and oiled pan.
- With a flipper, flip the pancakes then the edges begin to crisp. Be sure to cook the pancakes until they are golden on both sides and are fully cooked all the way through.
- Enjoy topped with fruit, nut or seed butter, a drizzle or maple syrup, or your pancake topping of choice!