As you may have seen us post over on Facebook or Instagram, studies show a significant decrease is autistic traits in children following a gluten and dairy-free diet. Many children with autism are also picky eaters, which can make following a gluten and dairy-free diet challenging for caregivers.
Below, we’re sharing a new take on a classic favourite! Whether you’re transitioning to a gluten and dairy-free diet or not, these Crispy Coconut Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard dipping sauce are a nutritious dinner option fit for the whole family!
Crispy Coconut Chicken Fingers Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken Breast sliced into strips
- 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1 Egg whisked
- 4 tbsp Almond Flour
- 1 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 cup Broccoli cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup Quinoa uncooked
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil melted
- 1/4 cup Yellow Mustard
- 1 tbsp Raw Honey
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- On a small plate mix together almond and coconut flour. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk egg. Set aside. On a separate small plate, measure out coconut flakes. Set aside.
- Dredge each chicken strip in almond flour mixture first, then in whisked egg, and finally sprinkle both sides with shredded coconut. Lay chicken strips on thelined baking sheet, with at least 1 inch space around all sides. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through.
- While the chicken is in the oven, place quinoa in a saucepan with the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover, allowing quinoa to simmer for 12 minutes. When cooked through, remove from heat and fluff with fork.
- In a separate medium pot bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add broccoli to a steamer basket, and place over boiling water, reduce heat, cover and steam for 2 minutes. In a large bowl, mix together quinoa and broccoli with coconut oil. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and mix well.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine mustard and honey in a small bowl and stir well.
- To serve, plate chicken fingers with quinoa broccoli mix and honey-mustard dipping sauce on the side. Enjoy!