Banana muffins, a timeless treat loved by many, can be transformed into a wholesome delight when crafted with nutritious ingredients like maple syrup, bananas, flaxseed, and cinnamon. Beyond their delicious taste, these muffins offer a plethora of health benefits, making them a guilt-free indulgence.
Maple Syrup – A Natural Sweetener: Replace refined sugars with maple syrup, and you not only add a rich, caramel-like sweetness to your muffins but also benefit from its nutritional profile. Unlike processed sugars, maple syrup contains antioxidants and minerals, including zinc and manganese. The antioxidants may help combat oxidative stress in the body, contributing to overall well-being.
Bananas – Nature’s Energy Boosters: Bananas, a staple in healthy baking, bring a natural sweetness and moisture to the muffins. Beyond their delightful taste and texture, bananas are rich in potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Potassium supports heart health, while B vitamins play a crucial role in energy metabolism, making these muffins a satisfying and nutritious grab and go snack when on the run.
Flaxseed – A Source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Adding flaxseed to your banana muffins not only imparts a nutty flavor but also boosts their nutritional value. Flaxseeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and heart health benefits. Moreover, flaxseed is a good source of dietary fiber, promoting digestive health and helping maintain a sense of fullness to help avoid over indulging.
Cinnamon – More Than Just Flavor: The warm and comforting aroma of cinnamon in banana muffins is more than just a flavor enhancer. Cinnamon has been linked to various health benefits, including its potential to regulate blood sugar levels and reduce inflammation. Additionally, cinnamon adds a delightful spice without the need for excessive sugar, making it a smart choice for those mindful of their sweet intake.
Indulging in banana muffins crafted with maple syrup, bananas, flaxseed, and cinnamon is not just a delightful treat for your taste buds but also a conscious choice for your health. Embrace the natural sweetness of maple syrup, the nutritional prowess of bananas, the omega-3 goodness of flaxseed, and the blood sugar balance of cinnamon. These wholesome ingredients elevate the classic banana muffin into a snack that nourishes both the body and the soul.
Healthy Banana Muffins
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed + 4 tbsp warm water
- 1¾ cups cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (or white/wheat mix)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana, about 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup stevia sweetened chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease or spray a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and warm water and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine. Stir in the flaxseed mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the mashed banana and chocolate chips, if using. Use a ⅓ cup measuring scoop to divide the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. Let cool 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.