Although chocolate may not seem like a healthy snack to many of us… with ingredients chosen wisely, chocolate can become a beneficial part of your diet!
The chocolate in this recipe contains a minimum 70% cacao. Cacao is packed with more calcium than cow’s milk; plus iron, protective antioxidants, and magnesium that can help us manage stress. It is also high in healthy fats (cocoa butter), which help us to feel energized and satisfied.
Pistachios add the perfect crunch to this chocolate bark while contributing plant-based protein that helps balance blood sugar levels to help prevent the “hangry” crash that can happen after sweets. Their beautiful bright green colour represents antioxidants such as lutein, that protect eye health.
Pomegranate seeds (aka pomegranate arils) are packed with dietary fibre! Fibre is a critical part of our diets that aids in maintaining healthy digestion, cholesterol levels, and blood sugar balance. Pomegranate seeds also contain high amounts of vitamins C and K, which may help support a strong immune system. Plus, their gorgeous red colour perfectly compliments the green of the pistachios and indicated the high polyphenol content, which help protect our bodies from illness and disease.
For even more healthy fats and fibre, there’s the addition of coconut. Coconut also contains minerals like selenium, , and managanese, which can help support heathy thyroid function and increase metabolism as well as support weight loss.
The benefits don’t stop there! Did you know that every single one of these ingredients are natural aphrodisiacs?
So, try it out… This Pistachio Pomegranate Chocolate Bark is a simple and delicious snack that can help boost your energy, satisfy your sweet tooth without throwing your nutrition goals out the window, and may even help you find your groove in the bedroom!
Pistachio Pomegranate Bark
- 7 oz Dark Organic Chocolate at least 70% cocao
- 1 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- ½ cup Pistachios shelled and chopped
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare the pomegranate seeds, pistachios and coconut flakes in bowls.
- Fill one large pot with water and place a smaller pot inside. Bring to a boil then reduce to lowest heat. Ensure no water is able to escape into the smaller pot! Break the dark chocolate into pieces and add it to the smaller pot. Stir continuously just until melted.Remove from stove top immediately once melted. Do not overheat as this will cause the chocolate to get lumpy.
- Pour the melted chocolate onto the baking sheet. Use a spatula to smooth the chocolate into an even layer, about 1/4 inch thick. Quickly sprinkle the pomegranate seeds evenly over top, followed by the pistachios and finally the coconut. Transfer to the fridge or freezer and let chill for 20 to 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Once the chocolate is firm, break or cut it into pieces. Enjoy!