Check out our sweet potato and pomegranate salad loaded in antioxidants, protein, fiber and vitamin A.
Not only is this delicious but it has tons of health benefits and is a great option if you have a stomach ulcer as the nutrients in this recipe can help boost your immune system and support a healthy gut and gut lining.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber and vitamin A. Vitamin A helps to stimulate the growth of the base layer of the skin, maintains skin integrity and promotes wound healing. This vitamin is also needed to enhance the activity of white blood cells and helps to protect tissues from infection.
Quinoa is a complete protein, which means it contains all the amino acids. Quinoa is gluten free so is easier on digestion and can minimise digestive issues for a lot of people. It is loaded with fiber, folate and magnesium. Quinoa contains several plant compounds that may benefit health in a number of ways. Two flavonoid plant compounds that have been particularly well studied are quercetin and kaempferol found in quinoa can help combat oxidative stress in the body and help fight off infections and disease. A 1-cup (185-gram) serving of cooked quinoa contains 5.18 grams of fiber. That’s about 18% of the current 28-gram DV
Pomegranate seeds are rich in antioxidants. The main bioactive compounds with antioxidant activity that are found in pomegranates are called punicalagins, anthocyanins, and hydrolysable tannins. Some human studies have found that consuming pomegranate juice can reduce markers of inflammation in the body. Both test-tube and human studies indicate that pomegranate may help fight inflammation and slow cancer cell growth. In fact, the fruit has demonstrated anti-tumor effects in cancers of the lung, breast, prostate, skin, and colon
Sweet Potato & Pomegranate Salad
- 2 Sweet Potato (cubed)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Pomegranate Seeds
- 1/2 cup Red Onion (diced)
- 1 cup Quinoa (Cook qunioa in boiling water until fluffy)
- 1/4 cup Basil Or Mint Leaves (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Toss the sweet potato with 1/3 of the oil and salt. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Cook quinoa in boiling water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining oil and lemon juice.
- Add the pomegranate seeds, red onion, and basil or mint to a large bowl. Add the sweet potato, quinoa and pour on the dressing. Mix well to coat. Season with additional salt if needed. Enjoy!