Lentil Tahini Burgers
Who doesn’t love a good burger? Now you can have a nutrient-dense, plant-based burger that everyone in the family is sure to enjoy!
This recipe is very easy to pull together, and the burgers themselves are sturdy and hold up well to your favourite fixings!
Lentils make up the base of this recipe. Not only are lentils a source of high-quality plant-based protein, but they are also a rich source of fibre. Lentils also contain phytonutrients called flavonoids, a type of antioxidant, that have been shown to reduce inflammation. Additionally, lentils contain lignans and saponins, which are plant-compounds that may have anti-cancer potential.
Tahini is the real star of this recipe! Tahini, also known as sesame paste, is made of ground sesame seeds. Sesame seeds contain proteins, healthy fats, fibre, and loads of vitamins and minerals. Sesame seeds are high in both calcium and magnesium, which supports strong bones. Sesame seeds also contain two unique lignans called sesamin and sesamolin. These compounds have protective antioxidant properties and may reduce cardiovascular disease and cancer risk.
Whether you regularly eat a vegan diet or not, these Lentil Tahini Burgers are an excellent way to include more health-promoting plant foods in your diet. In fact, we even included this recipe in our 7-day Cancer-Preventative Menu Plan!
If you give this recipe a try, let us know what your favourite topping combination is!
Lentil Tahini Burgers
- 2⅔ cups Green Lentils cooked, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup Tahini
- 1 Carrot small, shredded
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor with an S-blade, process all ingredients until a well-blended, but not perfectly smooth.
- Split the mixture into four even parts and shape into patties. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet with a minimum 1” between patties.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until firm and golden on top.
- Remove the burgers from the oven. Serve on a bed of lettuce with your favourite toppings such as pickles, sauerkraut, slides avocado, fresh tomato, or grilled pineapple.