These chicken sliders are a quick, yet delicious recipe that also supports your thyroid. If you’re following a paleo diet, these sliders will work for you, too!
Your thyroid is a gland near the base of your neck that releases hormones into your blood stream. These hormones interact with cells throughout your entire body. For many reasons your thyroid can stop releasing these hormones.
Chicken, the star ingredient in this recipe, is a source of zinc. Zinc is helpful as it “activates” thyroid hormones (1). In one case study, when an individual with a zinc-deficiency took zinc supplements, all thyroid hormones levels were found to increase as well (1). Chicken is also a good source of selenium, a nutrient also shown to “activate” thyroid hormones (2). It is important to remember that this recipe calls for lean chicken, which is recommended for best results. This means selecting skinless options and focusing on lean areas such as the breast and thighs.
Incorporated in these sliders are nutrient-dense green vegetables including broccoli and kale. While these vegetables contain many nutrients, research has shown that when eaten raw they can be potentially harmful to your thyroid. That is because they contain a goitrogen compound, which interferes with thyroid function (3). However, it is important to note that when cooked, this compound is deactivated. Therefore, individuals looking to support their thyroid should cook their dark leafy greens to get the best nutritional value.
If you like this recipe, you might love our 1-Week Thyroid-Supporting meal plan, with more recipes designed for the thyroid that the whole family will enjoy!
Preparation note: This recipe calls for the sliders to be grilled, but they can also be prepared in the oven on a baking sheet.
Herb & Greens Chicken Sliders
- 1 lb Extra Lean Ground Chicken
- 1 tsp Oregano dried
- 1 tsp Basil dried
- ½ tsp Thyme dried
- ¾ tsp Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper optional
- 2 cups Kale Leaves very finely chopped
- 2 cups Broccoli very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 head Boston Lettuce
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients except the Boston lettuce and mix until well combined.
- Divide the meat mixture into four even parts and form into patties. Each patty will be approximately 3 inches in diameter. Once formed, set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Grill the patties for approximately 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Ensure patties are cooked through to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Plate Herb & Greens Chicken Sliders in a lettuce wrap with your favourite toppings. Enjoy!